Total de visualizações de página

segunda-feira, 7 de novembro de 2011

LET’S PRACTISE ENGLISH – Chapter VIII




Starting with the continuation of

SOME REASONS NOT TO MESS WITH A CHILD:
4. A teacher was giving a lesson on the circulation of the blood. Trying to make the matter clearer she said: “Now, class, if I stood on my head, the blood, as you know, would run into it, and I would turn red in the face”. “Yes”, the class said. “Then why is it that, while I am standing upright the blood doesn’t run into my feet”? A little fellow shouted: “Cause [= Because] your feet ain’t* empty”.
[* ain’t = am not / is not / are not (non-standard or humorous)]

BASIC ENGLISH REVIEW

8. SPECIAL DIFFICULTIES

8.1 REMIND (-ed, -ed) and REMEMBER (-ed, -ed)

a) ‘This note is only a reminder’ / ‘I remind you to post my letter’ / ‘That girl reminds me his sister’ / ‘This sort of weather reminds me of my home’.
b) ‘Remember me to your mother’ / ‘Remember we have an experiment tomorrow’. / ‘This sort of weather makes me remember my home’.

8.2 TO GIVE (give, gave, given): IN / AWAY / UP

a) ‘Give in your annotated list of plants to me’.
b) ‘I gave away my collection of stamps to my nephew’.
c) ‘He has given up smoking’ (= she has stopped)

8.3 REALIZE (= REALISE) and UNDERSTAND

a) Realize, -ed, -ed: ‘I realized he was lying’ (= I observed he was not telling the truth) / ‘He didn’t realize he had made a mistake’.
b) Understand, understood, understood: ‘I can’t understand what you are saying’ / ‘I can’t understand English very well’.

8.4 INSTEAD OF ... WHO / WHICH / THAT / WHOSE, WE CAN SAY ...

Instead of saying // We can say
a) ‘The teacher whom you met yesterday is a very clever woman'.// ‘The teacher you met yesterday is a very clever woman’.
b) ‘The book which you lent me is very interesting' // ‘The book you lent me is very interesting'.
c) ‘The beach that I like best is Tambaú’. // ‘The beach I like best is Tambaú’.
NOTICE: it is not possible leave out who, which, that, or whose in these sentences:
d) ‘Mary is one of those rare people who believe in ancient myths’.
e) ‘That is the new laboratory which was built last year’.
f) ‘This is the new equipment that was bought by the Head of the Department’.
g) ‘The driver whose car crashed yesterday is not hurt’.

8.5 WHICH? and WHAT?

a) We ask which? when there is a limited choice: ‘Which size do you want, small, medium or large’?
b) We ask what? When there is a wide choice: ‘What is your shoe size’?

8.6 SO and SUCH

a) ‘I was so tired that I could not wake up’ / ‘The spider monkey and the golden lion tamarin were so fierce that I kept them in the cages all time’.
b) ‘The plant with such chlorophyll content is able to survive in poor light conditions’ / ‘When the flask on the hotplate exploded I got such a fright that I dropped all my plate dishes’ / ‘You should not work in such situation’.

8.7 CONTINUOUSLY and CONTINUALLY

a) ‘The river flows continuously’ (= it does not stop at all).
b) ‘It rained continually yesterday’ (= at frequent intervals) / ‘You must make readings in the apparatus continually’.

8.8 MAKE and DO

a) Make, made, made: when we are talking about building and creating things: ‘We teach our children to make their beds every morning’ / ‘I made a promise never to see him again’ / ‘He is always making trouble when he comes’ / ‘Does it make any difference?’ / ‘You are making much progress in English’ / ‘He thinks he will make a lot of money working with science!’ / ‘They asked me to make a speech in the opening of the seminar’ / ‘Before starting again I know I have to make up my mind / ‘The manager makes decisions every day’.
b) Do, did, done: when we are talking about work or when we don’t say exactly what the activity is, and when we use the determiner + -ing form to talk about longer or repeated activities (mostly jobs and hobbies): ‘I did my best’ / ‘Please do your homework before I come back home’ / ‘Do me a favour please’ / ‘I think I did a good job for the research group’ / ‘He is rich because he always does very good business’ / ‘We did good experiments’ / ‘I received my first salary and I did a lot of shopping’ / ‘We did a lot of walking and swimming during our holiday’.

8.9 LOOSE / LOOSEN / LOSE / MISS

a) Loose, loosed, loosed: ‘Loose the dog’ (= release an animal)
b) Loosen, loosened, loosened: ‘loosen the lid of the jar’ / ‘the knot is loosening’ (it means ‘to become or make loose’) [loose, adj. = not tied up]
c) Lose, lost, lost: ‘I walked to his house several times. I don’t like losing my way’ / ‘I’ve lost all the reprints I received from England’.
d) Miss, -ed, -ed: ‘I missed the hour to determine the plant respiration’ / ‘I missed the 9 o’clock bus’.

8.10 EXPECT / WAIT / HOPE

These are regular verbs: ‘The trip took me longer than I expected’ / ‘I’m expecting that she finishes her work before 5 o’clock’, but I will wait for her until 5:30’. ‘She’s expecting a baby and she and her husband hope it will be a girl’; they are just waiting for the doctor’. [look forward: see 7.5].

8.11
1) Arise, arose, arisen [begin, appear]: ‘A discussion arose about the best way to do the experiment’.
2) Rise, rose, risen [get higher, come/go up]: ‘The temperature keeps rising’. ‘What time does the sun rise in summer in Brazil’?
3) Arouse, ...ed, ...ed [often used with an abstract noun]: ‘Dr Grisi’s examination attitude aroused the students suspicious he is not fair’!
4) Rouse, ...ed, ...ed [to wake somebody up, to make somebody interested …]: ‘Professor Silva’s speech failed to rouse his audience’.

8.12 SOME PHRASES WITH ON

‘There were many new computers on display in the “Informatics Exposition” but the most wonderful on show was the IBM model’ / ‘He has gone to São Paulo on business’ / ‘I came here on foot’ / ‘I asked to see the officer on duty’ / ‘On the whole, I think it was a successful year’ / ‘The oven is on fire because you used it at a very high temperature’ / ‘I don’t think he dropped the vase on purpose’ / ‘I made six phone call, on average, today’ / ‘You mustn’t on any account sign the contract before you read it’ / ‘Though I agreed to let you go to the cinema, on second thoughts, you should first do your homework’

8.13 CAN / COULD; MAY / MIGHT; SHALL / SHOULD; WILL / WOULD; MUST; OUGHT TO

a) Can / could; ‘he can speak English but he can’t write it well’ [= be able to, be capable of, know how to]. ‘I think I can smoke anywhere in this building’ [= be allowed to, be permitted to] or ‘may I smoke here’? [more formal than can, in this sense]. ‘I never could play the piano’ [past ability]. ‘If I had more money I could buy a car’ [a contingent possibility or ability in unreal conditions].
b) May / might: ‘you may borrow my camera if you want’ [permission]. ‘The road may be blocked’ [possibility]. ‘What you say might be true’ / ‘We might go to the symposium’ [possibility: theoretical or not].
c) Shall / should: ‘you shall do exactly as you wish’ [willingness; restricted use]. ‘You should do as he says’ [= ought to; obligation and logical necessity]. ‘I am sorry that this should have happened’ [= I am surprised that; used after certain expressions].
d) Will / would: ‘he will help you if you ask him’ / ‘Will you please open the window’? [= willingness; used in polite requests]. ‘I’ll answer to your letter as soon as I can’ [intention]. ‘She will do it, whatever you say’ [insistence]. ‘The game will be finished by now’ / ‘He’ll talk for hours if you give him the chance’ [prediction, specific or habitual]. ‘Would you excuse me’? [willingness]. ‘He would keep talking if I didn’t stop him’ [contingent use]. ‘That would be his sister’ [probability].
e) Must: ‘you must be here by 10 o’clock’ [obligation or compulsion in the present tense]. ‘There must be a mistake’ [logical necessity].
f) Ought to: ‘you ought to start at once’ / ‘They ought to be here by now’ [obligation, logical necessity or expectation].
NOTICE: ought to and should both denote obligation and logical necessity, but are less categorical than must and have to.

8.14 WHETHER and IF

Both are used in reporting questions which expect ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as the answer. Whether is usually considered more formal and more suitable for written English. ‘I’m not sure whether / if I’ll have time to do that’. Whether sounds more natural with particular verbs such as discuss, consider and decide; and before to-infinitives: ‘He can’t decide whether to get back home now or later’. After prepositions, only whether is possible: ‘There was a big discussion about whether we should repeat the experiment’.

8.15 SOME COMPOUND NOUNS

a) London transport; petrol tank; river bank; hall door
(noun + noun).
b) Fruit picking; weight-lifting; bird-watching; coal-mining
(noun + gerund).
c)Waiting list; dining-room
(gerund + noun).
d) College library; garden gate; window frame
(the second noun as part of the first).
e) City street; country lane (and name of certain roads or street: Penny Lane); street market
(the first noun can indicate the place of the second).
f) Summer holiday; spring flowers; November fogs
(the first noun can indicate the time of the second).
g) Steel door; stone wall; silk screen
(the first noun can state the material of which the second is made).
h) Notice board; reading lamp; tin opener; coffee cup
(the first word can indicate the purpose of the second).
i) Fish-farm; decompression chamber; gold-mine
(work areas can be preceded by the name of the article produced).
j) Sheep farming; sheep farmer; wind surfing
(combinations of occupations, sports, hobbies ...).
k) We buy: bus / train / plane tickets. We pay: water / telephone / fuel bills and income tax, entry / registration fees, car insurance, parking fines.
l) It is similar with committees, departments, conferences
Exams committee; biology department; peace talks.


SCIENTIFIC TEXT
In this Chapter VIII I hope you enjoy a cartoon, which is on top of the present assay.
IMPORTANT: in all three questions there is more than one correct answer.

1-The statements which propose the aims of the cartoon are:
I. To recommend the use of fossil fuel to clean the Earth.
II. To illustrate the consequences of bio ethanol on human life.
III. To denounce negative social effects of the use of corn as fuel.
IV. To encourage poor people to go begging on the streets.
V. To show people’s misery as the result of the use of bio ethanol.

2-According to the cartoon, identify the correct statements.
I-Corn as fuel especially affects the poor population.
II-Bio fuel is directly connected with global food crisis.
III-Many people are unconscious of the impact of bio ethanol.
IV-Bio ethanol is a harmless substitute for fossil fuel.
V-Ethanol is dangerous for people who cannot drive a car.

3-On the man’s car, the expression Go Green communicates the messages:
I-People have to use fossil energy.
II-People ought to plant more trees.
III-People must care for the environment.
IV-People should wear green colour clothes.
V-People need to save the planet.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário